Thursday, February 14, 2008

Blasted squirrel

So, I’m out for a knitting stroll during lunch. I’m happily working on some socks, admiring the large number of folks in pink and red, and enjoying the sunshine. I’ve broken a cardinal rule of walking knitting – a pattern. Usually the most challenging project involves ribbing – this sock involves a chart. Just knits and purls, but nonetheless, a chart. So I got to the end of a row and I realized I was off. No big deal, just a mere sixteen-stitch stretch. But this was going to take some concentration, so I headed off for a bench.

The State Capitol is brimming with trees, birds, flowers (not this time of year, but usually), and many squirrels. I work in workers’ compensation – I’ve seen a number of claims for squirrel bites. My friend has also spooked me regarding these cute fluffy rodents. Today, I felt like the cat being pursued by Pepe le Peu. This squirrel was all sorts of interested in helping me with my knitting problem. I’d move, he’d follow. I moved again. He followed again. Always getting eye contact with me when I looked his direction. And from a distance of two feet. He was right there! With his soft fur and sharp little teeth. I was getting no stitches corrected.

So, I started walking again to get outside of the Capitol grounds so I could resume work. The little guy trailed me down the sidewalk as he scurried up and down the trees as I walked. A very persistent fellow. Then I realized I lost my stitch marker. Blast. It was a cute beaded one I made. Sure, it had a rough edge that always snagged on the yarn, but it was so cute! So I had to head back into squirrel country retracing my steps. This time I managed to elude my Valentine, but didn’t recover the marker.

I’m sure it will make a lovely Valentine present for a little critter’s sweetheart.

UPDATE: Found the stitch marker in the cuff of my pants. What a bizarre walk. I may stay in tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

AM is in a full blown panic attack after reading that, I'm sure! you're just so darn irresistable, Pam--or perhaps what you think was wool was really made from squirrel and he mistook you for family. one or the other.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Anne Margaret said...

NEVER MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE ENEMY!!!!!

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home