Thursday, January 10, 2008

Forward and back

The mitten yarn is in! What brilliant colors. Mine are pink and brighter pink. AM chose red and green.
I started a swatch in Marta Stina's technique.
Not such a great technique for this knitter. With these little needles (my new Christmas needles!), control is sort of important. With this technique, I've got stitches in multiple sizes. In shapes I've never seen before. Since every pattern stresses gauge, gauge, gauge, I'm thinking that means that one gauge over the course of the project is preferable. In my amateur status (not having my own named, published technique), I'm reverting back to one color in each hand. Having only completed one small, stuffed animal-sized fair isle project, I'm clearly not ready for the specialty method. Writer confession: I do not claim to be a creative writer, so I'll admit I often reach out to available resources. A favorite of mine is merriamwebster.com. Check out the sample sentence for a synonym for "technique."

The knit-along is in a bit of a static status given some birthday knitting and Icelandic sweater knitting. I purchased some 9 dpns to get going on the sleeves. I worked through the patterned cuff at home, then was ready for the endless rows of stockinette for lunchtime walking-knitting. I was strolling and knitting happily, then had a clever thought. Since this is going to be MY sleeve, why not try it on? Blast. Not such a good fit for my wrist. So walking-knitting turned in to walking-unraveling. Ready to re-cast on. Didn't count how many stitches I had so I could figure out the new number. Pattern in the knitting basket at home since I was simply knitting endless rows of stockinette. Blast. Another point for my wonderful husband who pulled out my Icelandic pattern - in English, but with a twist. He patiently read through the Cast on 30(36, 36), K1, P1 for 8cm, switch to 6mm twin pins, inc to 42(48, 48) (since I was changing the ribbed cuff, I needed the increased number). In case you need to know, pins are knitting needles. Twin pins are dpns.

A highlight of the day - I went to see Kate Jacobs, the author of Friday Night Knitting Club at a bookstore in Shockoe Slip last night. Delightful. This is her first novel. The movie rights to the book were purchased by some association with Julia Roberts to produce and star in the movie. Talk about beginner's luck! I'm eager to read it. And I did manage to get the cuff of the Icelandic sweater cast on, again.

Moving forward!

1 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

wow! you've been busy! I love the pink and pink and think you made a good choice. hope it all turns out O.K. and not too much more ripping. can't wait to see a finished mitten--maybe by Sunday? no pressure.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home